Healthy meals in a hurry
You work all day and have a busy life looking after your family. The temptation of stopping at the takeaway drive-through counter on the way home is huge. But if this is done on a regular basis, it will not only damage your bank balance, but your health as well. Apart from anything else, takeaway foods have a very high fat content and are often quite low on nutritional value. So what can you do if you are on the run and the family is hungry. Ten ideas on quick and healthy meals :
- Keep frozen pizza bases in the freezer.
- A baked potato only takes a few minutes in the microwave.
- Add tuna or a few chopped pieces of ham to a prepared pasta salad.
- Put frozen vegetables under the griller for about 15 minutes all-in-all.
- Frozen vegetables make a lovely accompaniment to oven-roasted chicken.
- Get into a habit of cooking a larger quantity of food than you need.
- Fresh chopped vegetables, like onions or peppers make a lovely accompaniment to quick-cooking rice.
- Fresh fruit, like bananas and apples, are quite filling and easy to grab on the run and infinitely preferable to chocolates or chips.
- Keep boiled eggs in the fridge.
- Fish fingers can be cooked in the microwave without having any oil added to them.